Expertise and science interests:
Air Quality and health effects. In particular, large interest in characterisation of ultrafine particles;
combustion generated aerosol and urban areas; black Carbon and carbonaceous aerosol; relevant
health effects (both toxicology and epidemiology); legislation develpment; sustainable development.
Education and training:
2018-2024- National Academic Qualification as Associate Professor/ Area 02 – Physics/ Academic Discipline : 02/C1 - astronomy, astrophysics, Earth and planetary physics
2004-2008: Ph.D. thesis at Tor Vergata University (Italy) in collaboration with CNR IIA (Italy), and Tsinghua/Peking University (China): combustion generated ultrafine particles in the urban atmosphere (mechanical eng.).
2002-2004: Fellowship at CNR IIA (Italy)
2000-2001: Study of environmental Chemistry at La Sapienza University (Italy): Postgraduate degree.
1995-2000: Study of environmental eng. at La Sapienza University, Rome. Dec 2000: Diploma/M. Degree passed cum laude
2020-now, senior research scientist @ the Italian National Research Council (CNR).
2002-now, scientist @ the Italian National Research Council (CNR)- permanent position since 2009.
2012-now: (contract) professor at the University of Rome, Tor Vergata, Physics Dept. - course: Atmospheric Chemodynamics.
2017-now: contracted by European Commission DG-MOVE as a scientific expert - Investigation of the quality level of the air inside the cabin of large transport airplanes and its health implication.
Post-doc and visiting:
2002-2007: Visiting researcher Tsinghua University and Peking University, Beijing, China – subject: urban air pollution in megacities.
2004-2007: Lecturer at the University of Rome Tor Vergata (Engineering departments) and Venice International University. 2008: Post-doc and Visiting researcher at fT, Leipzig, Germany - subject: ultrafine aerosol particles in the urban atmosphere.
- RHAPS (Redox-activity and Health-effects of Atmospheric Primary and Secondary aerosol) funded by the Italian Ministry of research [3 years/1 million euros, 2019/2021] https://www.researchgate.net/project/Redox-activity-and-Health-effects-of-Atmospheric-Primary-and-Secondary-aerosol-RHAPS
- CareBC – an epidemiological study on Black carbon exposure and health effects in the ambient atmosphere. Funded by Environment Agency of Lazio in collaboration with Health Agency [1 year /100.000 euros- renewable]. [2019/2020]
- Occupational exposure to fine and ultrafine particles indoors, BRiC project - funded by the National Institute for Insurance against Accidents at Work [740.000 euros, 2020/2021]
- Carbonaceous aerosol in urban areas: levels, source apportionment and health effects in Italian and Morocco [2020/2021] - Bilateral agreement CNR/CNRST Morocco
- Chairperson, rapporteur, and member of the Scientific Committee of the EU-funded FACTS project (https://www.facts.aero/index.php/the-project/scientific-committee ) [3 years, 2 million euros, 2017/2019].
- P.I. of the CARE experiment (Carbonaceous Aerosol in Rome and Environs), Rome, February 2017 (https://www.researchgate.net/project/CARBONACEOUS-AEROSOL-IN-ROME-AND-EN...).
- P.I. of #8 projects under the Sino-Italian Cooperation Program for Environmental Protection (Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, China). Max Funding: “Air quality monitoring System – AQMS – phase I” [2 years/2.3 million euros] Suzhou, China.
- Member of the Steering Committee and beneficiary of the EU funded project DIAPASON : "Desert-dust impact on air quality through model-predictions and advanced sensors observations agreement - LIFE10 ENV/IT/391".
- Expert member of the EU CEN/TC 264/Working Group 32 on "Air quality - Determination of the particle number concentration".
Published more than 40 peer-reviewed articles - https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=FZDJCzAAAAAJ&hl=it.
Participated in several Intl scientific conferences. Editor in chief for Atmosphere (https://www.mdpi.com/journal/atmosphere/sectioneditors/air_quality_human_health).
Referee for Intl journals including Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Atmospheric Environment, Science of the total Environment, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment.
Language skills: Italian (mother tongue), English (fluent), French (fluent), German (beginner), Chinese (beginner).