Clouds and Precipitation Group
- Microphysics of Atmospheric Ice:
- hail formation, density measurements;
- modelling of atmospheric ice growth by deposition of supercooled droplets;
- study of icing of ground structures and aviation icing.
- Atmospheric Aerosol Physics:
- generation, characterization and sampling of aerosol particles;
- study of aerosol particles as condensation (CCN) and ice nuclei (ICN);
- scavenging of pollutants (SO2, NOX,...) by ice crystals;
- study of the role of thermo- and diffusio-phoretic forces in the scavenging of aerosol particles by hydrometeors.
- measurements of hydrometeors backscattering by a scatterometer at 35 GHz;
- numerical modelling of the scattering of non-spherical particles.
- study of the structure of precipitating systems;
- satellite and radar precipitation estimation;
- satellite cloud classification;
- development of image processing algorithms for satellite and radar meteorology.
Back to ISAO Home Page.