Automated LIdar-CEilometer network (ALICEnet)
ALICEnet, the Automated LIdar-CEilometer network
ALICEnet (www.alice-net.eu) is a co-operative network of operational stations run by Italian research institutions and environmental agencies aimed at improving the multi-disciplinary use of environmental data.
ALICEnet provides a near-real time atmospheric profiling made by six automated lidar-ceilometers (ALC) located across Italy. A measurement database from previous field campaigns is also provided (yellow ALC symbols on the webpage).
ALC profiling allows retrieving the following information:
- Mixing layer height (pollutants dispersion height);
- Time-altitude distribution of particulate matter;
- Presence and concentration of Saharan/fires/volcanic plumes;
- Cloud height;
- Fog level.
This information is functional to the fields of meteorology, air quality, environmental and flight safety, and for climate studies.
Posted data are preliminary and their copyright belongs to the station PI.s. For relevant information, please contact the project office at: alicenet [at] isac.cnr.it
Current operational (24/7) systems are located at:
1) Aosta; 2) Milano; 3) Roma centro; 4) Roma Tor Vergata; 5) Taranto; 6) Messina
ALC systems of Aosta and Roma Tor Vergata are part of the European network Eumetnet-E-Profile (http://www.eumetnet.eu/alc-network).
List of associates:
• CNR Istituto di Scienze dell’Atmosfera e del Clima –Roma (G.P. Gobbi, L.Diliberto (Project Office))
• ARPA Valle D’Aosta, Servizio Agenti Fisici, Aosta (H. Diemoz)
• Univ. Milano Bicocca, Dip. Scienze della Terra e dell’Ambiente, Milano (L. Ferrero)
• ARPA Puglia, Servizio Agenti Fisici, Bari (A. Guarnieri, S. Ottonelli).
• IAMC-CNR, Messina (M. Furnari)